Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sins of Israel, Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Today's reading is Hosea 10-14; II Kings 14 and 15; and II Chronicles 25 and 26.  Israel's sins of lies, deceit, violence, fraud, materialism, contempt, idol worship and human sacrifice are seen in sharp contrast to God's love for Israel.
Hosea 11:1 "When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called him.  But the more I called Israel, the further he went from me."
Meanwhile in Judah, Ahaziah is assassinated in Lachish, where he had fled.  His son Uzziah is crowned king at the age of 16.  He reigned 52 years and did right in the eyes of the Lord  -- but the high places remained.  Uzziah was successful against the Philistines, successful in agriculture, successful in rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem and successful in building up a large fighting force.  But he couldn't manage to tear down those "high places".  I wonder. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment