Thursday, June 7, 2012

Giver of all things, Saturday, May 26, 2012

Today's reading is Psalm 127, written by Solomon and also includes the entire Song of Songs.

I always have questions when I read the Song of Songs.  I wonder why it is even included in the Bible.  But I know there are no mistakes in its inclusion.  The commentary in my Daily Bible (chronological) gave this perspective which helped:
"Although the writing itself makes no reference to history, purpose, religion, sin, salvation, or even God himself, many have seen in its celebration an allegory representing the love relationship between God and man.  For many Jews it presents God as the lover and the nation of Israel as the beloved.  With the coming of the Messiah, it will be seen by many as an allegory of Christ and the church.  Whatever else its purpose may serve, the Song of Songs expresses unrestricted joy in a relationship of love."

No comments:

Post a Comment