Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Salvation Comes from the Lord, Saturday, June 16, 2012

Today's reading is the entire book of Jonah, II Kings 14:25-27, and II Kings 13:6.

The prophets of God had a very difficult assignment.  None of them had a life that would be much sought after.  The song "Change My Heart of God" has been going through my head on an endless track for several days now.  Do I really want God to mold me and make me?  Jonah did not begin as a willing piece of clay.  It is interesting that even the sailors witnessing Jonah's proclaimed disobedience to God stopped to offer sacrifices to Him. 

My commentary makes a very relevant observation:
"All in all, the account is an amazing demonstration of God's universal grace and divine concern at a time when a rather exclusivistic Israel is in great need of a reminder that, despite being God's chosen people, their failure to repent actually lowers them to a level of spirituality beneath even penitent pagans."
Could I remove "Israel" and insert my name?

No comments:

Post a Comment