Thursday, January 5, 2012

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Today's reading spans Genesis 12, 13 and 14.  It begins with the story of Abram and his journeys as directed by God.  His behavior toward his wife in Egypt is disappointing.  It shows me how I can sin greatly when I fail to trust God's promises and decide to take on life's problems in my own way.  Abram shows much more admirable behavior in dealing with Lot over the choosing of land.  He certainly displays bravery in rescuing Lot and others from the invading kings.  My question for today is, who is Melchizedek? 

2 comments:

  1. I vote Shem. I would never attempt to debate it, because the Bible doesn't explicitly tell me. My answer is based on two things:
    1. The Holy Spirit includes detail that was deemed sufficient for readers
    2. Jews of the 1st and 2nd Centuries commonly held that Melchezidek was Shem, and the inspired writer of Hebrews makes no effort to correct this

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, I am up to date on my Bible reading (doing the chronological schedule), just behind on my blog reading! I think I would vote Shem as well... I googled Melchizedek and got an amazing number of answers, some of which I was afraid to follow the link... but http://www.bibletruthonline.com/melchizedek.htm seems pretty straightforward with their reasoning... and besides, Brian voted for Shem, and his reasoning is pretty straightforward too, and I know he's much smarter than I am... ;-P

    ReplyDelete