Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Today's reading begins with Numbers 9, the celebration of the second Passover.  This marks one year from the escape from Egypt.

Then we go back to Numbers 1 and 2, which tells of the numbering of the Israelites.  Notice that the Levite tribe is not counted.  There are 12 tribes, however, because each of Joseph's sons becomes a tribe:  Ephraim and Manasseh.  I know that when the seemingly repetitive lists of names which we cannot easily pronounce reaches page 2, our eyes begin to glaze over.  This would be a good time to ask, "Why is this listing of names important?"  Skeptics have a hard time turning the Bible into a fable or a story book, when actual names and numbers are included for validation.

Now that we are 5 or 6 weeks into a 52-week journey, it is good to compare our journey through God's word to the Israelite's journey through the wilderness.  I remember thinking how ungrateful and lacking in faith the Israelites were when they complained about lack of cucumbers, or lack of meat, or lack of water.  After all, God had repeatedly shown them amazing miracles.  How could they be so quick to forget?  And, how can I?  How merciful and gracious God is to me every day?  And He wants me to know Him by reading His inspired word --  from the comfort of my livingroom -- water in the tap, temperature controled at a touch, a selection of food that should make me blush.  I had better not complain about names that are hard to pronounce!

No comments:

Post a Comment